Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Unhappy longears...

I forgot to mention.... I have been separating Kochia (mini donkey) and her baby a little bit here and there to get them used to what was to come.... yesterday I finally did it for good. It's now weaning time here. That is the one thing I very much disliked about raising foals...of any kind.... having to separate them from their mom's. But....I held out as long as I could. Katie is about 6 months old now, it's definitely time to take her off mom. Mom is showing no signs of doing it herself...not like our horses did! The horses, around 4 months, always started pushing the foals away a little bit when they tried to nurse....Kochia actually encourages it still!

So.... I've been hearing a few brays here and there, mom is having a harder time than baby is, but I expected that. Baby or not, Kochia is very buddy sour anyway...and these brief separations just to grain Katie separately, only on the other side of the fence, were driving mom crazy! But I thought now was the perfect time. It hasn't been unbearably cold, and it shouldn't get too hot yet. Also gives me something else to focus on in the barn...than the void that the barn cats that passed away have left.

We are also having some pretty nice weather, I think it got to 63 yesterday, and the mud is drying up a little bit. The pond is not as flooded as it was, and the frogs are waking up, I heard them singing last night. Most mornings the ducks and geese are having "stereo wars" out there, seeing who can be loudest, it's quite enjoyable to hear...as long as you're not trying to sleep in! Spring is definitely here. Now hoping we'll stay nice, rather than get dumped on by snow yet again...

0 comments: