Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Natage




Well, Natage is coming back. He is a super sweet, 27 year old Arab gelding. His farm is for sale, and he's going to need to find a place to live. He's owned by a friend of mine, he's a pasture pet only, she doesn't ride, but pampered, and one of the sweetest gentlemen I know. He came here last year, but because of the owner's constrictions, and Natage's eye surgery, it was late, and winter came in like a bear during that time. I tried him with Blue, but it simply didn't work out. I was skeptical, with his age, the fact that he's been alone so long, and having only very recently lost an eye last year before he came here, I was afraid he'd feel too vulnerable being with a younger, bigger horse, in new surroundings, etc, and coming into winter. It was right after his eye removal, and coming into winter, and the timing was bad, but it ended the way I kind of figured it would.

(even though their ages match up, putting him in with Kissy is NOT an option, she is terrified of every horse her size....she's breakable and she knows it!)

Blue wasn't mean to Natage, however she did let him know she wanted to be on top in the herd. He wouldn't go into the shelter...he was feeling "whooped."

So...now that he's gone a year with one eye, and it's a little earlier than last year, we're going to try it again. Hoping this time will work. If the old boy doesn't make it here, I believe he will be put down. He's in amazing shape yet....unlike my girl, who at a year younger, is barely able to walk comfortably some days. If the time comes I have to say goodbye to my Kissy, Natage would be a perfect companion for Blue, as she will notice Kissy's absence, and she turns her nose up at the minis....she wouldn't find them suitable as companions for someone like herself.

As far as Kissy goes....she has her good days and not-so-good, but we had a good day last week, and she and I went for a nice walk together. She about ripped my arm off, so I knew she was feeling well! She enjoys getting out...and it's her version of "trail riding," although she certainly can't be ridden anymore. I still like to get her out when her arthritis will allow her to. I took some nice photos of her, and we enjoyed the time together. But, today, she's hobbling around...and my last straw are those steriod shots....I'd like to try it before winter hits...if she gets no relief from that, or not enough, anyway, I think it would be inhumane of me, as her caretaker, to make her hobble around through winter...knowing the cold weather is even harder on her. So.... we shall see. I've included a photo I took of her on our walk last week!

0 comments: