Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

Summer! Don't go!

Ok...so I've been in a bit of a mood this week. I work for the school district, and I love my job! However, school starts this week, and that means summer, basically, is over. No more lazy days at home...no more going out on a whim and doing something fun, no more late nights enjoying the nighttime sounds...reality has hit. Anyone who knows me knows I am NOT a fan of winter. In fact, the complete opposite. I despise winter! I've spent all summer watching things grow, mowing my lawn (which I love to do)...to eventually watch it die and be covered in this white stuff. Ugh. Eventually we will be bracing ourselves for another long, cold winter, filled with tank heaters, horse blankets and high heating costs....


But, before winter hits, we do have one of the prettiest times of year, I do love fall for its colors. I have a hard time enjoying fall because of what comes after it, but I love the changing leaves, and especially the smell of fall. And, I am a big fan of Halloween! I have a lot of fond Halloween memories....one in particular involved a friend of mine and I, being asked to "spook" a neighbor's daughter who was having a Halloween sleepover in their old barn. So, at midnight, with us dressed up in ghoulish costumes, we mounted our horses and set off across the fields in the dark to try to scare the wits out of these girls who were telling ghost stories in this old barn. It worked! Now, nearly every year, Halloween is limited to taking my son trick-or-treating...but I've learned to make more fun out of it, both for me and for all the neighborhood kids who see us, and I take Magic, our little black miniature horse. The first year he pulled his cart. He wore a cape and devil horns for the occasion....and did the following year as well. Last year, we went all out, and he wore his little saddle, and carried The Headless Horseman. It was AWESOME! So much so, that we're doing it again this year. It needs some modifications, some of the frame for the horseman came apart under the movement of the horse, so we'll beef it up this year. This headless horseman was complete, carrying a lit up pumpkin! We even used one of my son's little squishy balls where the neck was, that flashed red....it was perfect! I have photos...I'll share here. So, watch out for Magic as "Gunpowder," the Headless Horseman's horse, again for Halloween this year! It will keep me sane the next couple of months.....but after Halloween, I will be sulking until April! =)

0 comments: