Pages

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Kissy

I thought I would start off with introductions. I will start with Kissy, since she's been with me the longest. She is a 23 year old registered Arabian mare. I got her when she was not quite two years old, so I've had her more than half of my life. Pretty amazing to say! She was bred when I got her (by accident!) and had a foal in 1988, a bay mare I named Val. I kept Val for 11 years, but sold her to a trail riding family when I got into Quarter Horses. Kissy and I have done everything together, I showed her at the Dane County Fair for several years, in parades, we've done many, many miles of trail rides, (being gone all day), and she is my best friend. I even would ride her to friends' houses, and spend the night, keeping her there with me. Kissy has had two other foals besides Val, a Quarab colt, Boomer in 2001 (who lives in California) and a black Quarab filly who was born 6 weeks premature and was regrettfully euthanized later the same day. That filly is the one I had been waiting for, and I'm still crushed about it. I never bred Kissy again. Kissy, having been (accidentally) bred way to early (before we bought her) has taken its toll on her body. She is no longer sound for riding and is just a pet here on our farm. But she leads a happy, pampered life, and as long as she's comfortable, she will continue to lead her happy, pampered life. She has become a bit of a hard keeper, but with blanketting and diet, I've managed to keep weight on her now the past couple winters and bring her into spring looking great! She requires regular teeth work as her teeth are not in good shape, she has already lost some, and has required work to repair some diastemas, and will continue to do so, so she's a pretty expensive horse to maintain, but with the life she has given me, I certainly owe her that, and then some. Kissy has given me many years of happiness, she was the first horse my son ever rode (before he could walk), and was the only horse I trusted to ride while I was pregnant. I miss riding her greatly, but I'm thankful to have had her in my life this long, and hope to for many years to come.

0 comments: