Pages

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Mini Donkeys

Kochia and Gracey both came from different sides of the state just days apart. Kochia is 16, Gracey is 7. They are both ADMS registered. I have always wanted a mini donkey, and in learning more about them, learned it's best to get more than one. That was a good enough excuse for me! Both of these girls were in need of a good home, and I was wanting to give them one, so I picked Kochia up on a Monday, and Gracey the following Thursday.

Kochia is pregnant, and due to have her foal in August of this year. In this photo, she's got 5 months to go. I'm really excited! She is 36" tall, and a gray-dun, the jack she is bred to is a brown jack, 32" tall. Kochia spent most of her life on a breeding farm, having babies, so she's no stranger to motherhood. She has had many. Our other donkey drives, and Kochia gets upset when I take her out, so I thought it might be nice if we had three donkeys, so one could stay with her when I take the other out. Then I got the idea why not breed for that third donkey! So chances are I'll be keeping the foal. Donkeys are pregnant for a month longer than a horse typically, it already seems like we've waited forever for this foal! It doesn't help Kochia is SO HUGE already. The photo included here is nothing compared to how she looks now.....but, her breeding dates are accurate, and she was ultrasounded, there is only one! I have her amazing (well, to me!) ultrasound picture on my website if you wish to take a peek!

Gracey has been a pet all her life. Except when she was a foal, she had never been around donkeys at all until she came here. She likes Kochia just fine, but she's not as attached as Kochia is to her. I can take Gracey away and she doesn't have a care in the world, I like that about her. Kochia really stresses herself out about things. My girls are very different! Gracey is about 34" tall, and she is a brown/chocolate jennet, same color as the jack Kochia is bred to. I'm hoping the foal is brown like Gracey is! In my opinion, Gracey is as cute as donkeys come, although this girl can REALLLLLLY be stubborn (donkeys? NAHHHH!) She does drive, and really seems to enjoy doing so very much. And she looks so cute doing it! Get this girl going in front of a cart and she's quite happy!

0 comments: